How it Works – A practical guide to lift
More than 180,000 copies, 6 languages, distributed all over the world!
“How it Works” is the technical guide for the professionals of the vertical transportation, published for the first time in 2008 by Volpe Editore, leader of the lift publishing industry.
The guide immediately enjoys great success: 15,000 copies distributed on the occasion of the Lift exhibition in Milan, Italy. Available only in Italian and English, it is later translated into four additional languages and distributed all over the world. Today, “How it Works” is available in Chinese, Hindi, English, Italian, German and Turkish.
Thanks to the extraordinary global success, in the following years, two more books are added to the first guide, translated into six languages and distributed in thousands of copies.
The secret of such an amazing success? Being able to explain in a straightforward way the operation of the many lift components thanks to the contribution of the greatest sector experts.
The “How it Works” series is now made of three volumes and it is distributed at the key international events of the vertical transportation sector or, upon request, to companies, research and training centres, sector professionals wishing to deepen their lift knowledge.
HOW IT WORKS 4
After the success of the first three volumes, in September 2017, the fourth “How it Works” is published focused on the new EN 81-20 & 50 standards. This topic is highly topical and interesting due their recent enforcement starting from 1st September 2017.
Lift components are the same but some safety requirements change in order to suit the most frequent use of lift systems. Available in three languages (English, German and Italian) and developed in collaboration with technical sector experts, the guide offers a complete overview of the new safety requirements to keep lifts in step with the times.
A special thanks to all associations, collaborators and various partners who gave their valuable support and made this guide a real “jewel” by Volpe Editore.
How it Works
- The safety gear
- The overspeed governor
- Landing door locking devices
- The car door & the door operator
- The buffers
- Alarm devices
- The controller
- Drive systems
- Rope systems
- The hydraulic system
- The stop – Levelling accuracy
- And now let’s call the lift
How it Works 2
- The car sling
- Metal structures for lifts
- Lifts and stainless steel
- Crystal, glass and lifts
- Panel doors
- The “container” car
- The universal serial system
- Drives and inverters
- Gearless machines
- Hydraulic lifts
- Submersible for hydraulic lifts
- Electronic emergency devices
- Alarm management
- Lifting platform for persons
How it Works 3
- Standards and directives in a state of flux
- Standard-compliant without contactors
- Gear drives
- Rope research for lift applications
- Even rope set load distribution
- Evolution of hydraulic valves
- Four stage telescopic cylinder
- The electro-mechanical lift brake
- Lift rope brake
- CANopen-Lift: open standard for lifts
- Amendment A3: Unintended Car Movement
- Door safety edges for passenger protection
- Lift doors and application context